Geraldine has many hidden treasures of things to see and do, appealing to a broad sector of the population Geraldine really has something for everybody.
Cafe’s and restaurants fringe the streets of Geraldine so if its a picnic you need, a hard earned lunch or maybe afternoon tea the choice is endless and the quality exceptional! Dinner out can be a la carte or tasty fish and chips washed down by a pint at the pub!
Make sure you have time to wander through the array of arts and crafts and have some money left over for the irresistable retail opportunities… there are many!
If it is a whole day out that you are after, there are many great attractions within a short distance of the Geraldine Holiday Park, we have put together a guide for you so that you can get the most out of your stay, please remember that this is only a selection and half the fun is deciding what to do and how to fit it all in!
- In Geraldine you’ll find a unique shopping atmosphere along historic Talbot Street and side streets- boutique and speciality stores offering exquisite hand-made chocolates, premier clothing, local wines, fine arts and local crafts including paintings, fabric works and jewellery
- Locally produced foods are in abundance in Geraldine and it is a must to get your teeth into a few- Barkers of Geraldine, Talbot Cheese, Addmore Elderflower Drinks, Clearwater yoghurt, Waihi Bush Flax Seed Oil, Prenzels, Choco Chocolates and the list goes on… Geraldine is a foodies mecca!
- Four Peaks Plaza is worth a stroll and is literally over the fence from the Geraldine Holiday Park. The perfect place to pick up a gift or a treat for yourself, there is Talbot Cheese, Cafes, Prenzels, Alpaca knitwear, Victorian Woodworks and of course this is the home of Barkers Fruit Processors.
- If you are into Comets and Stars or even Super Nova Hunting then the Geraldine Observatory is a MUST visit. Geraldine Observataory is known as one of the best Observatories in the Country and less than 10 minutes from the park – LINK to more information HERE
- You cannot visit Geraldine without stopping in at the Giant Jersey and Bayeux Tapestry Medieval Mosaic on Wilson St- a Guiness world record holder right here in Geraldine.
- Catch a movie at the historic Geraldine Cinema- pre book a couch if you want to really relax!
- For those who enjoy a walk back in time, Geraldine has a number of historical attractions make sure you visit the Geraldine Historical Sociaty Museum, the Geraldine Vintage Car and Machinery Museum and the Awawhenua Museum and Collectables.
- If you are a sports person Geraldine has plenty of facilities for you to use during your stay- squash, heated swimming pool, tennis courts, bowling green and sports fields.
- Arts enthusiasts will love the offerings of Geraldine artists- make sure you visit Allison Art, Country Romours and the John Badcock Gallery.
- Take a stroll to the beautiful Talbot Forest or along the Waihi River bush track, where bird song will lead you through some of New Zealand’s stunning native Totara forest.
- The Farmers Market is a great place to pick up some local produce, it runs every Saturday throughout summer, and just along the road the craft market will also be in full swing so get along and check both out
- Keen golfers will be in paradise with three golf courses close by to choose from.
- The iconic Talbot Silver is located on Main North Road at Stover Farm, the grounds and the jewellery are spectacular.
- There are some great DOC walks designed especially for families with children, click on this link to find out more.
- Rangitata Rafts at Peel Forest are a great outing for those that want a bit of adventure- you can book at our office
- The Tin Shed at Rangitata is a merino mecca and is only 15minutes from Geraldine Holiday Park. Look in our special offers for discount vouchers.
- The Rangitata Island Aerodrome is well worth a visit. Russell and Lynda Brodie have a vast selection of aviation history on display and are more than willing to show you around. There are also a number of flying activities available.
- Take an afternoon to head up to the beautiful Peel Forest where there are plenty of walks, horse treaking and an outdoor pursuits centre.
- If you time it right, the Pleasant Valley Daffodils are spectacular viewing in the spring
- Go exploring, the gorges at the headwaters of the high country rivers- Te Moana, Orari and Waihi gorges are great for swimming and sightseeing.
- Timaru is our closest city and it has a rich history within Canterbury. Attractions include Caroline Bay, the Port, Aigantighe Gallery, the Timaru Rose Festival and further shopping opportunities.
- Throw in the fishing rod and head to the rivers for some world reknowned trout and salmon Fishing.
- Geraldine is in the heart of Canterbury and in less than an hour you can be on some of Canterbury’s stunning ski fields, Mt Hutt, Mt Dobson and Round Hill Ski Area are all close by.
- Head up to the stunning Lake Tekapo and spoil yourself in the hot pools while the kids go ice skating.
- Mt Cook, New Zealand’s tallest mountain is just two hours drive from Geraldine Holiday Park. Have lunch at the Hermitage and Sir Edmund Hillary Compley at the base of the mountain.
- Get up close to the heavens by taking an air safari to see the glaciers, the majestic Southern Alps and Mt Cook.
- Opihi Winery is well worth visiting for lunch and tastings.
- The Maori Rock Art is a piece of timeless history that will entrall the whole family.